While I was not present at Tuesday’s Commissioner’s Court meeting, I was able to view the video feed found on another county website. To say that I was astonished by Chap Cain’s total disrespect for the position of County Judge would be a huge understatement. Even when realizing that there has been some bad blood between these two judges in the past few months, the impertinence shown by Cain surpassed his normal arrogant self. His actions and behaviors in that Court were nothing short of insolence, pure and simple.
I have been present in hearings in Cain’s court in the past years when he has rapped his gavel many times interrupting a party’s tirade as they were trying to get their point across. I have heard him threaten to have his bailiff remove the party from his court if they failed to heed his warning. The actions by Chap Cain as he tried to get his point across in Tuesday’s meeting superseded any outbreak, any tirade, any outburst that I have ever heard him allow in his courtroom. I strongly suggest that Liberty County constituents not try to mimic Cain’s behavior in his court or you will be held in contempt and jailed…which is what should have happened in Tuesday’s meeting.
Let me also say that the actions by Judge Fitzgerald were not without blemish. He, clearly, was using his position as budget officer for the county as a means to retaliate against Cain for disagreements between the two of them as they related to Fitz’ monetary gains during the clean-up after Hurricane Ike. However, Cain’s refusal to provide budget requirements for his court and personnel, as requested of each department head, gave Phil leeway to do just that.
One of Cain’s arguments against having the salaries of his personnel cut was “It’s always been that way!!” (Whine, Whine) Perhaps, having been in politics for these many years has caused Chap to forget that just because something has been wrong for all those years, does not mean that it should stay wrong. It has always amazed me that Chap’s court, the 253rd District, received the same pay as Judge Hight’s court, the 75th District, when Cain’s personnel only worked for Liberty County 75% of the time. Cain chose to cry foul stating that his court is assigned the same number of cases as the 75th District, which is true. However, he failed to acknowledge that he and his court only work for Liberty county 75% of the time, while working for Chambers County the other 25% of the time.
Bottom line…Cain is ticked off that his personnel will now only make the same salary as the 75th personnel rather than the 25% or more that they were receiving when combining the 100% salary from Liberty County with the additional 25% or more salary from Chambers County.
Can anyone say “It’s time for a change”?
(NAME WITHHELD TO PREVENT RETALIATION)
LIBERTY DISPATCH DOES NOT AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH THE POLITICAL OR PERSONAL VIEWS PRESENTED BY WAY OF LETTERS TO THE EDITOR.